Lawson Trooper vs. the M & R Diamondback
Here are some Important Differences between the Lawson Trooper and the M & R Diamondback automatic:
1. Same Station Print & Flash - The Trooper allows for Same-Station Print-and-Flash. The M & R Diamondback does not offer this very important feature. With the Trooper there is no need to purchase additional print heads and extra stations just to flash.
2. Front AND REAR Micro-Registration
Both the Lawson Mini-Trooper & Trooper feature Front AND Rear Micro-Registration, unlike the Diamodback, that only has 1 Side Micro-Registration System. M & R admits that Front & Rear Micro is better, but they are saving money on the Diamondback by using just 1 Side Micro.
3. Modular Design - The Trooper is a fully modular press, the Diamondback is not. For example, you can purchase a Base with the number of print heads you want, and then add additional print head at a later time - the M & R Diamondback can only be purchased either as a 6/7 Color; 8-Station or as a 8/9 Color; 10-Station press.
The versatile design of the Trooper Series allows you to purchase a 4-Color; 8-Station automatic press, and then add additional print heads later, should the customer desire.
4. Front and Rear Screen Holders
According to M & R's own "Points to Consider", they state that the screen holding system they are using on the new Diamondback is inferior to a traditional Front and Rear Clamping Frame.
The Lawson Trooper Series uses what M & R states is a better system: standard Front & Rear Screen Holders!
5. Dual Lift Air Cylinders
M & R states that using Two Lift Cylinders for the platens is superior to presses that only use One Lift Cylinder. However, the Diamondback only used One Lift Cylinder, because M & R says it is cheaper to do this.
Note: Both the Lawson Mini-Trooper and Trooper use the superior Two Lift Cylinder Design!
6. Flex-Head Design -With the Trooper you can move each print head to any print station you desire. This is especially helpful when printing light colors on dark shirts and flash curing - the M & R Diamondback does not offer this useful feature.
7. The Trooper Warranty is Better - All Lawson Troopers have a comprehsive 2-Year Parts Warranty AND a 7-Year Warranty on the Registration System. The Diamondback is only a limited 1-Year Parts Warranty. M & R says the customer can purchase an additional 1-Year Warranty for an extra $1,000.00 to match the superior 2-Year Lawson Warranty.
8. 7-Year Registration Warranty - All Troopers come with a 7-Year Registration Parts Warranty and a comprehensive 2-Year warranty on all other parts. The M & R Diamondback is only a 1-Year Parts Warranty. They offer an extra year to match Lawson for an additional $1,000...and they offer no additional registration warranty.
9. Registration Bearings at each Carousel Station - If you purchase a 8-Station Trooper, there are 8-Registration Gates; if you purchase a 10-Station Trooper there are 10-Registration Gates. The M & R Diamondback only has 3-Registration Gates. The additional registration gates aids in better and longer-lasting registration.
10. Shuttle Flash on Casters, Not Dependent on a Print Head - The Trooper's optional Shuttle Flash is not mounted on a stationary print head! This means faster set-up, greater versatility and eliminates the need to purchase an extra print head.
11. Front Stroke Adjustment - The Trooper offers the ability to adjust the front stroke stop. The M & R Diamondback only offers a rear stroke adjustment.
12. Dual-Action Squeegee - The Trooper uses a "dual-action" squeegee. Benefits of the Lawson squeegee is a larger print area, longer screen life, the ability to reverse the squeegee and use a 60 or 70 durometer squeegee on the print (as you desire) and single-knob adjust squeegee pressure that balances left-to-right squeegee pressure across the print.
The Diamondback only offers 1squeegee and flood bar set. The Trooper Series, because of it's dual-action squeegee allows the customer to choose between printing with a 60 or 70 durometer squeegee, without having to purchase an entirely extra set of squeegees!
13. Easier Screen Cleaning - The Trooper has a 4" carousel lift vs. the Diamondback's 2" lift. The Trooper benefit is that you can easily clean and wipe the underneath side of the screen, without moving the carousel out the way (like is required on the Sportsman);
14. Foot Pedal Operated - All Troopers come with a convenient Foot Pedal, for easy use and the initiation of the print cycle. - the M & R Diamondback makes the customer purchase their optional foot pedal.
15. Simple Design / Common Parts - The Trooper utilizes common parts that are frequently available locally. For example, we use standard electric micro-switches vs. custom-made proximity switches. Likewise, we use standard air-cylinders, nuts and bolts and other hardware. M & R uses lots of custom parts, that can only be purchased from them.
16. Print Head On/Off Controls - The Trooper has On/Off controls at each individual print head. - the M & R Diamondback does not. This makes for a very simple set-up and easier future maintenance.
17. Smaller - The Mini-Trooper has a smaller diameter than M & R Diamondback. For example, our Mini-Trooper only takes up 8.5' while the Diamondback's diameter is 10' 9" dia. for their 6/8 press.
18. Simpler - The Trooper has a much simpler Control Box. The M & R presses have lots of buttons and a "data pad" to turn heads on and off and to control other indexing features. The Trooper has a very simple, stationary, control panel. The Trooper also has a "remote control set-up box" that the operator uses to check registration basic pressure adjustments.
19. Safer - The Trooper is a safer press to use than the M & R, because of 2 basic reasons:
A) The press can not automatically cycle, until the Foot Pedal is actuated (except on the Trooper-PC);
B) The rotation of the Trooper Carousel is "softer" than the M & R press, because the Trooper does not require as much air to start and stop the carousel.
20. Screen Access - The Trooper has a more "open head/screen access" than the M & R. Our Aluminum Extrusion provides strength, while providing for greater screen access. This is better for registration and for adding ink to the screen.
21. Performance Guarantee - Lawson offers free factory training at our St. Louis facility. In a complete 1-Day course, you will learn all the essentials of how to install, operate, maintain, and service the Trooper. M & R does not our same comprehensive program.
22. Free Factory Training - Lawson manufacturers equipment, inks and many supply items used in screen printing. The customer truly has a single-source supplier who can aid with the entire "equipment-supply chain" experience. This means fewer hassles for the customer, reduced costs and more supplier accountability.
23. Complete Turn-Key Manufacturer/Supplier -
24. More Options Available - The Trooper has many more options to choose than the M & R. For example: XL or PC style presses, Speed Rails, Speed Platens, Head Support Bridge, Modular Head Pre-Wire and Pin Registration.
25. Pin Registration Available - You can use the versatile and inexpensive Lawson Pin Registration System, if desired. The M & R only offers their 3-Point, corner-based system (the tri-lock).
26. Smaller Adult Platen - The Trooper comes with your choice of a 14" x 18" or 16" x 18" Adult Platen. This allows you to use a "Standard Manual Frame" (i.e. 20" x 24") with the Trooper. The M & R standard platen is 17" x 23", requiring you to use a 23" x 31" frame.
The Trooper Series also allows the customer to choose optional Aluminum Platens and/or a Soft Rubber Platen Option. The Diamondback, forces the customer to only use their "composit platen" - no substitutions allowed!
27. Manual Indexing - The Trooper and Trooper XL allow for "manual indexing", while everything else remains fully automatic. This means that you have a choice, depending on your operator and style of printing required. Also, this is a great feature just in case the automatic indexer malfunctions or breaks, or needs servicing (and they all do at some time or another), and with the M & R you can no longer operate the press (they only have "free-wheel", with no automatic indexing lock). With the Trooper you can always rotate the carousel.
28. Lawson Stability - …we've been a pioneer in the screen printing industry since 1949. Knowing that the company you purchased your new automatic from is financially stable, committed to the screen printing industry and is in a position to support your automatic with in-stock parts and a knowledgeable service staff. M & R is a giant company and is actually owned by a large conglomerate. We all know that huge companies can go through restructuring and other organizational changes.