Lawson Trooper vs. the Tuff Freedom automatic
Here are some quick differences between the Lawson Trooper and the Tuff Freedom automatic:
1. Modular Design - The Trooper is a fully modular press, the Freedom is not. For example, you can purchase a Base with the number of print heads you want, and then add additional print head at a later time - the Tuf does not.
2. Flex-Head Design - With the Trooper you can move each print head to any print station you desire. This is especially helpful when printing light colors on dark shirts and flash curing - the Tuf does not. With the Lawson "flex-head" design you can leave an "open" station after print head #1 for either flashing or cooling.
3. Shuttle Flash on Casters, Not Dependent on a Print Head - The Trooper's optional Shuttle Flash is not mounted on a stationary print head! This means faster set-up, greater versatility and eliminates the need to purchase an extra print head. Also, if you want to flash at print head #5 (instead of #1), simply roll the Shuttle Flash to into that position.
4. 7-Year Registration Warranty - All Troopers come with a 7-Year Registration Parts Warranty and a comprehensive 2-Year warranty on all other parts. The Tuf is only a 2-Year Parts Warranty;
5. Pin Registration Available - You can use the versatile and inexpensive Lawson Pin Registration System, if desired. The Tuf only offers their 3-Point, corner-based system (like the tri-lock and our 3-point system) - the Tuf does not;
6. Smaller Adult Platen - The Trooper comes with your choice of a 14" x 18" or 16" x 18" Adult Platen. This allows you to use a "Standard Manual Frame" (i.e. 20" x 24") with the Trooper. The Tuf standard platen is 17" x 23", requiring you to use a 23" x 31" frame.
7. Less Expensive to Operate - Because the Trooper uses much less air than the Tuf, your air-compressor will run less often…saving you a lot of electricity costs;
8. Foot Pedal Operated - All Troopers come with a convenient Foot Pedal, for easy use and the initiation of the print cycle. - the Tuf does not.
9. Smaller - Troopers have a small diameter than the Tuf presses.
10. Safer - The Trooper is a safer press to use than the Tuf, because of 2 basic reasons:
A) The press can not automatically cycle, until the Foot Pedal is actuated (except on the Trooper-PC);
B) The rotation of the Trooper Carousel is "softer" than the Tuf press, because the Trooper does not require as much air to start and stop the carousel.
11. Simpler - The Trooper has a much simpler Control Box. The Tuf presses have lots of buttons and a "data pad" to turn heads on and off and to control other indexing features. The Trooper has a very simple, stationary, control panel. The trooper also has a "remote control set-up box" that the operator uses to check registration basic pressure adjustments. Also, the opertor will not be intimidated by our controls -- yet the Trooper still has all the essential controls necessary.
12. Print Head On/Off Controls - The Trooper has On/Off controls at each individual print head. - the Tuf does not. This makes for a very simple set-up and easier future maintenance;
13. Screen Access - The Trooper has a more "open head/screen access" than the Tuf. Our Aluminum Extrusion provides additional strength, while providing for greater screen access. This is better for registration and for adding ink to the screen;
14. Manual Indexing - The Trooper and Trooper XL allow for "manual indexing", while everything else remains fully automatic. This means that you have a choice, depending on your operator and style of printing required. Also, this is a great feature just in case the automatic indexer malfunctions or breaks, or needs servicing (and they all do at some time or another), and with the Tuf you can no longer operate the press (they only have "free-wheel", with no automatic indexing lock). With the Trooper you can always rotate the carousel. The Trooper manual indexing also allows for speciality platens to be mounted on just 1 station for quick 1-color printing and backward rotation.
15. Lawson Stability - …we've been a pioneer in the screen printing industry since 1949. Knowing that the company you purchased your new automatic from is financially stable, committed to the screen printing industry and is in a position to support your automatic with in-stock parts and a knowledgeable service staff. Tuf was just sold to Workhorse, a company that has gone through many transitions in recent years and has had many personnel and 1 ownership change.
16. 24-Hour Service Hot-Line - Lawson provides a 24-Hour Service Hot-Line to assist with after hours emergencies. Tuf does not.
17. Performance Guarantee - All Troopers come with the Lawson Performance Guarantee: "Guaranteed to be fully functional to your complete satisfaction upon proper installation by Lawson - or your money back!" Tuf does not have this guarantee;
18. Free Factory Training - Lawson offers free factory training at our St. Louis facility. In a complete 1-Day course, you will learn all the essentials of how to install, operate, maintain, and service the Trooper. Tuf does not;
19. Complete Turn-Key Manufacturer/Supplier - Lawson manufacturers equipment, inks and many supply items used in screen printing. The customer truly has a single-source supplier who can aid with the entire "equipment-supply chain" experience. This means fewer hassles for the customer, reduced costs and more supplier accountability. Tuf does not;
20. More Options Available - The Trooper has many more options to choose than the Tuf. For example: XL or PC style presses, Speed Rails, Speed Platens, Head Support Bridge, Modular Head Pre-Wire and Pin Registration;